What is the Sports Premium?
The PE and Sport Premium is a grant awarded to schools across the UK each year to improve the sport and PE lessons and extra curricular activities offered. The grant has been doubled this year, giving schools more funding than ever before, to help improve sports for primary school children across the country.
The concept behind the grant is to improve fitness, build confidence and increase general well-being of primary school-aged pupils.
The aim of the funding is to help prevent childhood obesity and encourage children from five to ten years old to lead more active lives, starting at school.
Schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside Primary teachers when teaching PE
- new or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs.
Please click below to view our Sports Premium Grant Information.
What does this look like at St William of York?
At St William of York we are committed to providing high quality PE and sports opportunities for all pupils from Nursery to Year 6. We run a wide range of extra curricular clubs and activities and our pupils receive sports tuition from highly skilled coaches. We buy in a number of external agencies to support our provision including: Premier Sports, One Goal, Select Soccer, Bolton Wrestling Club, Bolton Rugby Club.
Have a look at our impact statement below to find about more about the Sports Premium.